The special prosecutor investigating the Flint water crisis filed two news charges—including involuntary manslaughter—against Michigan’s top medical official for her role in the water crisis, which was linked to a deadly outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease, the Detroit News reports.
In addition to manslaughter, prosecutor Todd Flood said on Monday that he filed a misconduct in office charge against Dr. Eden Wells. These two new allegations add to obstruction of justice and making a false statement charges against Wells.
Wells is among six current and former state and Flint, Michigan officials charged in connection to at least 12 deaths and 79 illness from the Legionnaires’ disease outbreak.
Flood said the new charges against Wells stem from testimony during a preliminary exam hearing last week against state Health and Human Services Director Nick Lyon. He declined, however, to identify the specific testimony.
“I really can’t get into the details of it but I think we’d be derelict if we didn’t charge her,” Flood said, according to the news outlet. “Based on a new review of other documents and testimony that came out last week, we believe that discovery put us in this place.”
The prosecutor said he gave Wells’ attorneys notice of the new charges. Her lawyer, Jerold Lax, spoke with reporters.
Lax said his team was prepared to defend Wells on the prior charges, adding that “under the circumstances, we reluctantly agreed to an adjournment so as to be able to prepare to deal with the new charges that have been filed.”
According to the news outlet, Wells faces up to 15 year in prison and a $7,5000 fine for the manslaughter charge.
SOURCE: Detroit News
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Prosecutor Files Involuntary Manslaughter Charge Against Chief Medical Officer In Flint Water Crisis was originally published on newsone.com