From Charles Follis being the first Black professional football player to Colin Kaepernick’s on-the-field activism, race has always been a hurdle in the NFL.
Follis made his first appearance in 1902 as part of the Shelby Blues and it’d be another 18 years before a Black man—named Fritz Pollard—would be considered for a coaching job and dominate his first season. The league may now be 70% Black, but being vocal about your views as a Black man can get you shunned from the league.
Check out the journey of Black players in the NFL here.
Fans To Rally For Colin Kaepernick Outside NFL Headquarters
Time For The NFL To Sign Colin Kaepernick
10 Powerful Photos Of Colin Kaepernick Looking Like Black Excellence
7 photos Launch gallery
1. Keeping the ‘fro in shape is a must.
1 of 7
2. Stand for something, or fall for anything.
2 of 7
3. Leader of the pack.
3 of 7
4. “It is our duty to fight for our freedom.”- Assata Shakur
4 of 7
5. Dignity, Pride, Roots.
5 of 7
6. #KnowYourRightsOakland #KnowYourRightsCamp 📷: @ttime32
6 of 7
7. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. “- MLK
7 of 7