CELEBRATION—‘Bring Back Our Girls’ campaigners celebrate the release of the kidnapped Chibok school girls at the unity fountain in Abuja, Nigeria, May 7.  (AP Photo/ Sunday Alamba)

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP)—Nigeria’s government says 82 Chibok schoolgirls are free more than three years after a mass abduction by Boko Haram extremists. It is the second group release; Nigeria announced in October that 21 girls had been freed after negotiations with the extremists. The kidnapping shocked the world and put tremendous pressure on Nigeria’s government to counter Boko Haram and free thousands who have been taken captive over the years. Here are some of the key events surrounding the Chibok crisis:

April 2014: Boko Haram extremists kidnap 276 schoolgirls from Chibok in northern Nigeria, the region where the insurgency emerged several years ago.

November 2014: Extremists seize Chibok, and Nigerian army takes back the town.

May 2015: New President Muhammadu Buhari is sworn in, pledging to tackle Boko Haram “head-on.”

April 13, 2016: Boko Haram video appears to show some of the Chibok girls, and tearful mothers recognize their daughters.

May 18, 2016: Relative says one of the Chibok girls is found, pregnant, in a forest; pressure grows on Nigeria’s government to rescue the others.

1 2Next page »

Also On New Pittsburgh Courier:
comments – Add Yours