A juvenile court judge denied a motion to release a 15-year-old Ohio girl, accused of killing her allegedly abusive father in his sleep, while she awaits trial, The Huffington Post reports.
Bresha Meadows’ lawyer, Ian Friedman, told the news outlet that Trumbull County Juvenile Court Judge Pamela Rintala believes it makes no sense to release her two weeks before the trial. Her decision may change, however, if the state seeks a motion on Monday to move the trial.
Prosecutors charged the teenager with aggravated murder, in a case watched closely by anti-domestic violence advocates. Friedman said Bresha acted in self defense to protect herself and other family members.
Bresha has PTSD, depression and anxiety, her lawyer said. He told the court last week that Bresha has not received proper mental health care during her nine months in juvenile detention. The county prosecutor denied that allegation and objected to her release.
Bresha’s trial is scheduled for May 22. If found guilty, she can only be incarcerated until age 21 as a juvenile offender.
SOURCE: Huffington Post
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
15-Year-Old Bresha Meadows To Remain In Custody Before Trial was originally published on newsone.com