After blowing out the Kansas City Chiefs last week, the Steelers will now take on another AFC opponent. The 1-3 New York Jets come to town and are in dire need of a win or they will all but fall out of the playoff picture just five weeks into the season. The Jets actually have a decent team and a solid defense so this game will be tougher than it looks on paper.
Here are the Keys to a Steelers Victory:
- Force Ryan Fitzpatrick into turnovers. Fitzpatrick has been handing the ball over like candy and the Steelers need to take advantage of that and nab him for a couple of picks or a fumble or two.
- The team needs to stay disciplined. They can’t let the idea that they should win get into their heads. They can’t make the stupid penalties or play lackadaisically.
- The next man up mantra will need to hold true again this week. They’re down three linemen and a fullback on offense to name a few. On defense, Ryan Shazier will miss another game and we will see if Vince Williams can be a difference maker for a second straight week. On a side note, I love what Shazier can do on the field but isn’t it getting a bit old the amount of time this kid misses?
- Special teams can’t allow any big plays. The Jets are a big underdog and there is good reason why but nothing changes a game as quickly as special teams does. I don’t think the Steelers are in need of a big offensive special teams play but they can’t allow the Jets to break a couple of big runs on them to keep them in the game.
Here are a Few Things to Watch:
- Besides death and taxes, there are very few guarantees in life. Of the few left, some of them are Antonio Brown having several catches, Antonio Brown scoring a TD, Antonio Brown doing a lewd dance after said TD and Antonio Brown getting a penalty and fine for said lewd dance. Will that continue this week? The latter half needs to stop.
- LeVeon Bell’s opening act for the season was a great one, how will he follow that up this week?
- Vince Williams-He filled in admirably last week for Ryan Shazier, I want to see him do it again.
- Sammie Coates-He’s turning into the teams’ second receiver and best deep ball threat. Will he put up another catch for over 40 yards?
Mike Pelaia hosts the website Steel Nation Association http://www.steelnationassociation.com– Covering the Steelers and helping Children’s Hospital All Day Everyday. You can e-mail him at email@example.com.