In an effort to calm rising criticism of his party’s relationship with people of color, Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan on Tuesday disavowed Donald Trump‘s xenophobic comments about a judge of Mexican heritage.
Trump, the Republican presumptive presidential nominee, said U.S. District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel should not preside over a case involving his business because he is biased, according to CNN:
As he stood surrounded by community activists and top House GOP members, Ryan admitted Tuesday that the firestorm over Trump’s comments was undercutting his own push to roll out a positive policy agenda for his party. He said he wouldn’t defend Trump but instead would concentrate on his agenda project.
“I disavow those comments,” Ryan said.
Pressed on whether he regretted his own endorsement of Trump that came last week, Ryan added, “I regret those comments he made.”
“It’s absolutely unacceptable,” Ryan said. But he stood by his support for the controversial business mogul. “Do I think Hillary Clinton is the answer? No, I do not.”
The criticism appears disingenuous. Ryan and other Republican leaders were well-aware of Trump’s xenophobia before he became their party’s presumptive presidential nominee. The only difference now is Trump is forcing leaders to deal with their own misperceptions about race relations in America.
What do you think? Sound off in the comments.
SOURCE: CNN | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty | VIDEO CREDIT: Inform
14 Surprising Celebrity Trump Endorsements
1. Mike TysonSource:Getty 1 of 15
2. Tila TequilaSource:Getty 2 of 15
3. Dennis RodmanSource:Getty 3 of 15
4. Stephen BaldwinSource:Getty 4 of 15
5. Terrell OwensSource:Getty 5 of 15
6. Azealia BanksSource:Getty 6 of 15
7. Hulk HoganSource:Getty 7 of 15
8. Kid RockSource:Getty 8 of 15
9. Stacey DashSource:Getty 9 of 15
10. Gary BuseySource:Getty 10 of 15
11. Kirstie AlleySource:Getty 11 of 15
12. Aaron CarterSource:Getty 12 of 15
13. Teresa GiudiceSource:Getty 13 of 15
14. Charlie SheenSource:Getty 14 of 15
15. Ted NugentSource:Getty 15 of 15
“Textbook Definition Of A Racist Comment:” House Speaker Slams Trump was originally published on newsone.com