In an effort to end a decades-long frozen relationship between the U.S. and Cuba, President Barack Obama made history when he became the first president in nearly 90 years to visit the island siloed from the rest of the world since the Cold War conflict.
Obama — who touched down in a rainy Havana with First Lady Michelle Obama, her mother, Marian Robinson, and their daughters, Sasha and Malia Obama on Sunday — took to Twitter to announce his arrival before the family was swept away for tours of the city’s mostly unchanged and historic district.
In a meeting with U.S. Embassy staff in Havana, the president remarked that his visit as a sitting U.S. president would be a normal sight for the country in the years to come.
“For the first time, the American flag flies over an embassy, and having the embassy here means we can more effectively advance our interests and values and understand the Cuban people and their concerns,” Obama said.
“We hope they think it’s natural that a U.S. president would visit Cuba and the two peoples are working together,” he added.
The trip, applauded by many and a welcome sight for Cubans who cheered “USA!” at Obama’s arrival, was condemned by members of the GOP, who have long criticized the president’s efforts to open the lines of communication between the island and the U.S.
Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump pointed out Raul Castro’s absence at the airport for Obama’s arrival, suggesting that the Cuban president had no respect for Obama.
Sen. Ted Cruz, another of the party’s presidential hopefuls and the son of a Cuban immigrant, also commented on Obama’s trip, calling it a “sad day in American history.”
“It’s very chic, it’s very chichi for leftists to celebrate vicious communist dictators,” Cruz said. “I cannot wait as president to visit Cuba, but when I visit Cuba, it will be a free Cuba.”
President Obama's Historic Trip To Cuba In Photos
1. President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama attend a state dinner in CubaSource:Getty 1 of 11
2. President Castro with first lady Michelle Obama and President Barack ObamaSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. President Obama And President Castro Talk At An Exhibition Baseball GameSource:Getty 3 of 11
4. The First Family Arrives In CubaSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. First Lady Michelle Obama and President Barack Obama Arrive In Cuba On Air Force OneSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. The First Family Deplanes In CubaSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. Obama Arrives In Old Havana In The RainSource:Getty 7 of 11
8. Cuba Prepares For President Barack Obama's ArrivalSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. President Barack Obama Greets The Press In CubaSource:Getty 9 of 11
10. President Barack Obama Greets The Press In CubaSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Cuban President Barack Obama SupporterSource:Getty 11 of 11
SOURCE: NBC | VIDEO SOURCE: Inform | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
President Obama Makes Historic Trip To Cuba To Strengthen Relations was originally published on newsone.com