Updated: Friday, March, 11, 2016, 9:30 AM ET
Saying they have “buried the hatchet,” former Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson endorsed front-runner Donald Trump at a Friday morning press conference at the real estate mogul’s private Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida.
The endorsement comes after the men battled for months over votes on the campaign trail. At one point, Trump described Carson as “pathological” after the retired neurosurgeon revealed a violent childhood past.
“We buried the hatchet,” Carson said. “We’ve moved on. It’s not about me. It’s not about Mr. Trump. It’s about America.”
Carson also stressed the importance of unity:
“I know how a person’s image can be greatly distorted, having been a victim of that,” he said. “We have to start working together. We cannot allow the agents of division to continue separating us.”
Trump also addressed questions about “nasty stuff said on the campaign trail.”
“It’s politics,” he said, noting that he used to think the real estate business in Manhattan was tough.
Trump says he admires Carson because he couldn’t shake him in the polls early in the GOP race.
This is a developing story…
Ben Carson To Endorse Donald Trump
Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump announced Thursday during a debate at Miami University that former challenger Ben Carson will endorse him Friday at a press conference at the real estate mogul’s private Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida.
The retired neurosurgeon suspended his presidential bid a week ago, saying he didn’t see a path forward in the race.
From CBS News:
In an interview on Fox News Radio Thursday, Carson hinted at his support for the GOP real estate mogul. Asked whether he was planning to back Trump, he replied: “Let’s put it this way, I’m certainly leaning.”
And despite his past criticism of Trump, Carson said Thursday that there’s a side of Trump people don’t see in public.
“Well, you know there are two Donald Trumps. There’s the Donald Trump that you see on television and who gets out in front of big audiences, and there’s the Donald Trump behind the scenes,” he said. “They’re not the same person. One’s very much an entertainer, and one is actually a thinking individual.”
Trump hinted that if nominated, Carson would have a spot in his administration, possibly overseeing education.
This is a developing story…
SOURCE: CBS News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty | VIDEO CREDIT: CBS News
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
“We Buried The Hatchet,” Carson Says Of Trump Endorsement was originally published on newsone.com