Somali authorities arrested 20 people believed to be involved with a suicide bombing that forced an airplane to make an emergency landing last Tuesday, Feb 2.
Only two people were injured in the bombing attack on a Daallo Airlines Airbus A321 that held over 70 passengers. The bombing suspect was identified as Abdulahi Abdisalam Borle, the alleged nephew of Somalia’s Muslim Brotherhood Foreign Minister. Fifteen minutes after takeoff, Abdisalam fell out of the aircraft through the meter-sized hole left by the bomb.
Officials originally believed it was sudden air decompression that accounted for the explosion. However, the pilot, 64-year-old Vladimir Vodopivec claimed he knew that it was a bombing and not a technical difficulty. Since the bombing didn’t damage the plane’s navigation system, Vodopivec was able to successfully land the aircraft.
Somalia’s Transport and Aviation Minister Ali Ahmed Jama has since confirmed that the bomb was intended to ruin the plane and kill all of its passengers.
Daallo Airlines is based in Djibouti and its airplanes fly across the Horn of Africa and the Gulf. The head of the airline, Yasin Olad, claims that passengers were originally supposed to board a Turkish Airlines flight that had been cancelled.
Olad also claims that Daallo Airlines is currently implementing new security measures to avoid similar future attacks.
Pray For Paris: 14 Heartbreaking Photos Following The Attacks
1. Officials turn the Eiffel Tower lights off, as Paris goes dark following multiple terror attacks.Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. Victims lie on the ground after an attack on Rue Bichat in Central Paris.Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. A young woman cries at a vigil held by a local French community in Sydney.Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. A single rose following multiple terror attacks in the French city of Paris.Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. Players and officials have a moment of silence for victims during the Newcastle v. Central Coast round 6 A-league match.Source:Getty 5 of 14
6. Workers wash blood off of the floor outside of Le Carillon bar.Source:Getty 6 of 14
7. Workers wash blood off the floor outside of Le Carillon bar.Source:Getty 7 of 14
8. A woman sends her love.Source:Getty 8 of 14
9. Two friends hug in the wake of multiple terror attacks in Paris.Source:Getty 9 of 14
10. Residents leave flowers for victims and their loved ones.Source:Getty 10 of 14
11. At least 127 people were left dead following multiple terror attacks in Paris on Friday.Source:Getty 11 of 14
12. Residents leave flowers for victims and their loved ones.Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. Blood from the scene following the Bataclan Theatre attack.Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. Pray for Paris.Source:Getty 14 of 14
Suicide Bomber Forces Somali Airplane Into An Emergency Landing was originally published on hellobeautiful.com