Joseph Kent is a well-known protestor who was kidnapped on Tuesday night. The shocking thing is that it was all caught on CNN’s cameras. And now, the world wants to know where he is!
The 21-year-old Black student at Morgan State University was standing with his hands up alongside a line of police officers, suited up in riot gear right before 11 p.m. A National Guard humvee drove up and officers swarmed Kent. The rest happens behind the vehicle, making it difficult to see what’s happening to Kent as he’s accosted by police.
Baltimore has been put on a strict curfew of 10 p.m. to help quiet down the rioting plaguing the city.
The Washington Post’s Wesley Lowery tweeted “I watched Joseph Kent spend hours trying to clear young people from street & keep them from rioting last night in Baltimore.”
“They drove the vehicle up and when it got close enough to create a wedge they ran out an grabbed him, pinned him against that and arrested him,” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo said. He also told viewers Tuesday night that police had earlier shot pepper spray at the young protester as he approached their line in the street.
Since many of us were tuned into CNN, we spotted the alleged kidnapping and we weren’t alone. Social media was abuzz with the brutal visual, demanding answers:
Kent became widely known in his community after Michael Brown‘s untimely death at the hands of White police officer Darren Wilson. Back in November, he was interviewed by the Baltimore City Paper and talked about keeping the peace while standing with Ferguson and he said, “The protesting, the marching, and the movement, it was important to a lot of people out there.” Kent continues, “Of course, it’s Baltimore and you’re gonna have the ones who wanna be violent and ignorant and stuff like that, but the majority of the people were of one accord and wanted to send a message to the people that don’t understand what is going on and blind to what is happening that it is just not OK to kill our young people.”
When a local journalist called the Baltimore Police Department, she was told that Kent was “arrested for breaking the law and is in jail.”
A local attorney, Stephen Beatty, who said he would offer Kent his services pro bono, tweeted early Wednesday morning that Kent was safe and at Baltimore Central Booking.
“As a service to the community I can confirm that Mr. Kent is at CBIF awaiting processing. Report is he is ok and safe,” he said. “Due to large numbers of arrests, processing is slow. He is not even in system yet. More will be known in about five hours. I do not yet rep him although I will gladly if he wants me to. But everyone breathe. No longer in [Baltimore Police Department] hands. [Correctional officers] have him. Safer,” he said.
We’re hoping Beatty has correct information and that Kent is indeed safe. There’s no hiding the footage that appeared live on CNN.
Baltimore Is Burning: Stunning Photos That Show The Real Story
1. Baltimore Is BurningSource:Getty 1 of 32
2. The Children Are InvolvedSource:Getty 2 of 32
3. Baltimore Protestors Involve Their KidsSource:Getty 3 of 32
4. The AGGRESSIVE PoliceSource:Getty 4 of 32
5. Police Arrest ProtesterSource:Getty 5 of 32
6. Baltimore Man Hurt During ProtestSource:Getty 6 of 32
7. Woman Held Back By Man At ProtestSource:Getty 7 of 32
8. Woman Demonstrating A Lie-InSource:Getty 8 of 32
9. Balitmore Residents Flee During ProtestSource:Getty 9 of 32
10. Police Officer Gets HurtSource:Getty 10 of 32
11. Children Involved In Baltimore ProtestsSource:Getty 11 of 32
12. Police Stand Off Against ProtestersSource:Getty 12 of 32
13. An Intense Stand OffSource:Getty 13 of 32
14. Balitmore Residents Band TogetherSource:Getty 14 of 32
15. Intense ProtestersSource:Getty 15 of 32
16. Hands UpSource:Getty 16 of 32
17. Passionate Protesters Calling Out PoliceSource:Getty 17 of 32
18. Balitmore PoliceSource:Getty 18 of 32
19. Baltimore Police Dept. Vs. ResidentsSource:Getty 19 of 32
20. A Child Joins The Baltimore ProtestsSource:Getty 20 of 32
21. We Want A Revolution!Source:Getty 21 of 32
22. Beautiful Little Girls ProtestingSource:Getty 22 of 32
23. Hands Up!Source:Getty 23 of 32
24. Black Balitmore Residents Stand TogetherSource:Getty 24 of 32
25. Hands UpSource:Getty 25 of 32
26. Passionate DemonstatorsSource:Getty 26 of 32
27. A Fight Breaks OutSource:Getty 27 of 32
28. No Justice No PeaceSource:Getty 28 of 32
29. Riot Gear Police OfficersSource:Getty 29 of 32
30. The Police Barricade The NeighborhoodSource:Getty 30 of 32
31. A Stand OffSource:Getty 31 of 32
32. Black Men Vs. The PoliceSource:Getty 32 of 32
Police kidnap community organizer live on CNN [video] was originally published on hellobeautiful.com