PITTSBURGH (AP) – The Community College of Allegheny County has closed down a campus for the second time this month after a student reported having bed bugs at home.
Friday’s closure affected the Allegheny Campus on Pittsburgh’s North Side. On Feb. 4, the school closed its North Campus in nearby McCandless Township.
Both closures were prompted by student reports of bed bugs at home, not in campus buildings.
But because the parasitic pests feed on blood, they can be carried by humans to other locations.
The school hired a pest control firm to inspect the Allegheny Campus, which the school expected would reopen Saturday.
The bugs don’t transmit disease, but can cause itching, and the excessive skin irritation from scratching can sometimes invite infection.
The campus closed out of an “abundance of caution” and on advice of county health officials.