- Roll to the Polls...Get Out and Vote! Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 2013-05-19
- Mayweather Jr. ranks No. 1 on SI Fortunate 50 - 2013-05-17
- More visits by artists like Beyonce, Jay-Z, needed, says Afro-Cuban filmmaker - 2013-05-17
- Mo’Nique shows off amazing weight loss - 2013-05-17
- Our primary election endorsements - 2013-05-16
DEC. 26—The Community Empowerment Association and United We Stand will host a “Saturday University: A Health, Wellness, Athletic Mentoring Initiative” at 9 a.m. at 7120 Kelly St., Homewood. This is for boys and girls in grades 6th-8th. The university will also be held Dec. 27 and 30. There will also be a holiday Basketball tournament. Registration is required. For more information, call 412-371-3689 ext. 44.
Ribbon Cutting/Opening Ceremony
DEC. 28—The Penn Hills School District will host a Ribbon Cutting/Opening Ceremony for the new Senior High School at 6 p.m. at 309 Collins Dr., Penn Hills. The evening will include dignitaries, alumni, former administrators, a tour, refreshments and more. There will also be “A tour down memory lane” at the current high school, 12200 Garland Dr. There will be highlights of various decades, music, photos, memorabilia and more. Parking is available at the tennis courts and Linton Middle School. For more information, call Teresita Kolenchak at 412-760-5315.
Live Life Without the Disease Series
JAN 12—Educating Teens About HIV/AIDS Inc. will host its Live Life Without the Disease Series. The 10-session series places adolescent health in the contest of teens’ everyday lives and facilitates their ability to make connections about how everyday decisions impact health and well being. They will discuss topics, such as “A Healthy You in Every Season: HIV and STI Prevention,” “The Unique You: Finding Ways of Dealing with Peer Pressure, Stress, Surviving in Your Environment,” “How to Create Success from the Inside Out: A Focus on Nutrition” and “FLEX: Developing Inner Strength to Avoid Injury & Violence.” ETAH is looking for individuals ages 13-19 to participate, along with their parent or guardian. For more information, visit www.educatingteens.org.
(To have items listed on Community Calendar, send information at least two weeks in advance to: 315 E. Carson St., Pittsburgh, PA 15219; Fax: 412-481-1360 or email: email@example.com.)
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Janet Jackson, Wissam Al Mana Married In Secret Wedding (2)
- Fifth annual National Achievers Society inductions (2)
- Breast cancer survivor group targets young Black women (1)
- Wes Moore replaces Dr. Ben Carson as Johns Hopkins commencement speaker (3)
- Record Powerball jackpot inspires office pools (2)