- 2013 National Urban League Conference, 'Redeem the Dream' set for Philly - 2013-06-18
- The Wise Decision...Replace your trigger foods - 2013-06-18
- Passion begin 2013 playoffs with 63-0 beat down of Cincinnati - 2013-06-17
- Toomey Update: Two judges confirmed for PA's Eastern District including first Latina - 2013-06-16
- New Pittsburgh Courier to honor 50 Women of Excellence June 20 - 2013-06-15
AUG. 17—Unity Baptist Church, 1023 Talbot Ave., Braddock, will host their 77th Annual Cantaloupe Day. There will be a weekend full of activities, festivities will conclude on Aug. 19. They will serve residents from various facilities in Allegheny County. For more information, call Dorothy Lee at 412-241-3777.
Songs of Praise
AUG. 17—The Sister/Sista Ministries will host their Sister/Sista Annual Conference Workshop at 7 p.m. at Inner City Ministries, 5643 East Liberty Blvd., East Liberty. This two-day conference will include praise and worship with Lady Deborah Moncrief and Overseer Priscilla Dixon will be the guest preacher. Also on Aug. 18, there will be workshops from 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. with facilitators Apostle Yolanda Thomas, Rev. Sherita Blackburn and Rev. Wanda Ponder. Registration is requested and the cost is $35, which includes a continental breakfast, lunch and conference materials. For more information, call Rev. Amelia Harris at 412-824-3845 or visit www.sistersista.org.
All Saints Day
AUG. 19—Morningside COGIC, 5173 Dearborn St., Garfield, will host its Annual Women’s Day at 4 p.m. Ellen Carter, first lady of King of Kings Church, will be the speaker. For more information, call Evangelist Patricia Parker at 412-361-9865.
AUG. 21—Rodman Street Missionary Baptist Church, 6111 Rodman St., East Liberty, will host its Family Vacation Bible School from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, 616 N. Highland Ave., East Liberty. School will run through Aug. 24 and the cost is $87.50. For more information, call 412-363-8082.
Women of Power
AUG. 24—Carrone Baptist Church, 7119 Frankstown Ave., Homewood, will host a “Women of Power” Worship and Fellowship evening at 7 p.m. Reverend June Jeffries of New Life Baptist Church in Apollo will be the guest speaker. All are welcome and a free offering will be taken. For more information, call 412-371-9919.
AUG. 26—God’s Gurls Inc. will host The Rallypoint: Inspiration Expo for Women and Girls from 2-6 p.m. at the August Wilson Center for African American Culture, 980 Liberty Ave., Cultural District. This is a community-wide social and spiritual gathering designed to extend ministry and services to women and girls of all ages, backgrounds and ethnicities. There will be entertainment, vendors, demonstrations and more. Registration is required. For more information, call Erica Clarke at 540-246-1077 or visit www.godsgurl.org.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)
- Black politicians need to learn to steal from the right people (1)
- Homeowners Bill of Rights emerge as remedy to foreclosure (1)
- Bill Cosby attacked by Republican Allen West: Why these two men are so different (4)