- Heritage, Symphony partner to provide classical music experience to Braddock children - 2013-06-19
- Conflicting opinions opens affirmative action in med school admissions debate - 2013-06-19
- This Week In Black History - 2013-06-19
- CeeLo and Goodie Mob introduce 'Elevate Young Black Voices' contest winners at finale concert - 2013-06-19
- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise - 2013-06-19
Strength in the Struggle
The August Wilson Center for African American Culture presents the “Strength in the Struggle: Civil Rights” Exhibition at 980 Liberty Ave., Cultural District. This is a presentation in collaboration with The African American Museum in Philadelphia and the In Sisterhood: The Women’s Movement in Pittsburgh oral history project, and features text, photography, memorabilia and film. The exhibit will run through June 30. For more information, visit www.augustwilsoncenter.org.
The Kelly Strayhorn Theater, in collaboration with Alia Musica, presents Hear/Now: Festival of New Sound at 5941 Penn Ave., East Liberty. This is a two-day festival showcasing the full spectrum of new music with local and national artists. For more information, visit www.kelly-strayhorn.org.
CJ’s Restaurant and Lounge presents Funkdafied Jazz featuring Monica Carter “Mz. Drummer” at 8:30 p.m. at 2901-2911 Penn Ave., Strip District. All the way from Cleveland, Carter will bring classic and popular R&B with a jazz twist and outstanding vocals. There is no cover charge, proper dress and ID required. For more information, call 412-642-2377.
Sunday Night Concert
The Pittsburgh Jazz Society presents its Sunday Night Concerts from 6-9 p.m. at the James Street Gastropub and Speakeasy, 422 Foreland St, North Side. The featured entertainment will be Jimmy Sapienza and 5 Guys Named Moe and Tony Mowod will be the host. For more information, call 412-343-9555 or visit www.pittsburghjazz.org.
Savoy Restaurant presents Savoy Jazz from 5-9 p.m. at 2623 Penn Ave., Strip District. Every Monday guests can enjoy live jazz in a sophisticated atmosphere with the Roger Humphries Trio. The special guest will be blues and jazz vocalist Leroy K. Wolford. For more information, call 412-281-0660 or visit www.savoypgh.org.
BNY Mellon Jazz presents JazzLive at 8 p.m. at Cabaret at Theater Square, 655 Penn Ave., Cultural District. Every Tuesday in April, guests will have the opportunity to celebrate National Jazz Appreciation Month by enjoying music from some of the best local and national jazz musicians. The featured musician will be the Cory Weeds Quartet with Joey DeFrancesco. DeFrancesco will lead this quartet with special guest Hammond B-3 king. For more information, call 412-456-6666 or visit www.pgharts.org.
Savoy Restaurant and Uplift Enterprises present Spring Break Comedy Explosion at 6:30 p.m. at Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall, 4141 Fifth Ave., Oakland. Enjoy Hart as he performs all new material from his “Let Me Explain” Comedy Tour. For more information, call 1-888-71-TICKETS or visit www.kevinhartpgh.com.
The Pitt Jazz Ensemble presents its annual Spring Concert at 8 p.m. at the William Pitt Student Union, the Assembly Room, 3959 Fifth Ave., Oakland. Featured guest performers will be legendary trumpeter Jimmy Owens and international jazz trombonist Curtis Fuller, along with several local musicians. Tickets are $5-$10. For more information, call 412-624-4187.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise (1)
- Central Baptist Church hosts 'Spring Hat Sensation' at LeMont (2)
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)