- Roll to the Polls...Get Out and Vote! Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 2013-05-19
- Mayweather Jr. ranks No. 1 on SI Fortunate 50 - 2013-05-17
- More visits by artists like Beyonce, Jay-Z, needed, says Afro-Cuban filmmaker - 2013-05-17
- Mo’Nique shows off amazing weight loss - 2013-05-17
- Our primary election endorsements - 2013-05-16
Bynums Marketing & Communications, Inc., in partnership with The Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers, is launching the 19th annual African American History Contest In celebration of Black History Month. This year’s contest will focus on the contributions of African-American pioneers in medicine and healthcare. Sponsors of this year’s contest include Bynums Creative Institute and Highmark.
Children ages 6-18 are invited to enter the contest for a chance to win $500. This year’s essay contest question is as follows: What African American healthcare worker or supporter do you admire, and why? How has that person impacted society? Students can choose to write about a historical person or a present-day healthcare worker.
Along with their essays, students can submit poetry, video, music and artwork entries for extra points. Entry information will be distributed to schools in early February. For more information, call 412-471-4332, visit www.blackhistorypassiton.com, or send email to blackhistorypassiton@ gmail.com.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!