Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/npcourie/public_html/libraries/joomla/database/database/mysql.php on line 383
Category: Opinion Published on Monday, 11 February 2013 17:59 Written by Julianne Malveaux Hits: 1092
How did President Obama get in this mix? CEO John Mackey, unsupportive of Obamacare (as many business leaders are) chose to take opposition to another level, and decided that “fascism” was a great way to frame his ire. Then he said it didn’t matter, that his word choice was careless, that his ignorance would not affect his corporate profit, that he simply misspoke. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said to support evil is to embrace evil, is to be evil. This is an evil I can gleefully walk away from. Mackey says that it doesn’t matter that conscious people won’t support his store. He may have a point. But I’m gong to take my little $200 a week elsewhere and I know others who will do the same thing. John Mackey, your words have been duly noted.
Julianne Malveaux is a Washington, D.C.-based economist and writer. She is President Emerita of Bennett College for Women in Greensboro, N.C.
- << Prev
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Courier, Urban League and Pitt CTSI sponsor community health forum (1)
- The end of America’s dominance (1)
- Black community not to blame for August Wilson Center crisis (13)
- More visits by artists like Beyonce, Jay-Z, needed, says Afro-Cuban filmmaker (2)
- Can the Black community change the face of the music industry? (3)