- Champion Enterprises and Five Star Corp. celebration women at community luncheon - 2013-06-19
- Fashion Watch: The man behind Cicely Tyson’s dress - 2013-06-14
- Lifestyles Report...A new queen is christened on Clipper Fleet - 2013-06-13
- Central Baptist Church hosts 'Spring Hat Sensation' at LeMont - 2013-06-13
- Fashion Watch has eyes on June Ambrose - 2013-06-07
Kings and Queens Mardi Gras: Quesino 2013
Created on Wednesday, 20 March 2013 10:21 Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 March 2013 12:36 Published on Thursday, 21 March 2013 06:00 Written by Debbie Norrell - Courier Lifestyles Editor Hits: 401
KINGS & QUEENS (Photo by Carlton Heywood)
Hark Noble Citizens! A special time was had at the Greater Pittsburgh Coliseum, March 9, when the brothers who don the royal purple and old gold celebrated their annual Mardi Gras. This year the theme surrounded the Kings and Queens of the city. This theme gave guests that rare chance to be a king or queen, a prince or a pauper, a court jester or a castle troll.
More than 500 merry makers rolled out in regal splendor, donned in crowns, capes and tiaras. The invite offered fun, dancing, gambling, raffles and prizes. There was a cash prize for the best costume and for the best table. As always big money games were played in the “Quesino,” where there was Black Jack and the Big Money Wheel was spinning all night.
The Iota Phi chapter of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. has been in Pittsburgh since 1925 and this yearly party serves as fundraisers to support their Thanksgiving Food Drive, Holiday Toy Drive, Historical Black College Tour, Carter G. Woodson Academy and Fatherhood Initiative/mentoring program.
Revelers included members of Delta Sigma Theta, Alpha, Kappa Alpha, Zeta Phi Beta and the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- This Week In Black History (1)
- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise (1)
- Central Baptist Church hosts 'Spring Hat Sensation' at LeMont (2)
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)