- 'Britain's Obama' urges ties with West Africa - 2013-05-20
- 'Scandal' cast performs finale live for Academy - 2013-05-20
- Bills promote Pittsburgh native and former Steelers' exec Whaley to GM - 2013-05-20
- Miss. mayoral candidate: Radical or mainstream? - 2013-05-20
- Obama's Morehouse visit shines spotlight on HBCUs - 2013-05-20
Chris Brown investigated for possible assault
Created on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 09:25 Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 February 2013 10:19 Published on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 09:25 Written by Associated Press Hits: 580
UNDER INVESTIGATION—This Oct. 20, 2011 photo shows Chris Brown performs live as part of the F.A.M.E Tour at The Staples Center in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Katy Winn, file)
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP)—Grammy-winning singer Chris Brown is under investigation for an alleged assault in a West Hollywood parking lot, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said early Monday.
Deputies responding to a report of six men fighting Sunday night found the scene clear, but were told by witnesses there had been a brief fight over a parking space.
"The altercation allegedly led to Chris Brown punching the victim," the department said in a statement released early Monday morning.
The "victim" wasn't identified, but the celebrity website TMZ, which first reported the fight outside the Westlake Recording Studio, said it also involved Frank Ocean, one of the top nominees at the Grammy Awards next month.
In a Twitter posting later, Ocean said he "got jumped by (Brown) and a couple guys" and suffered a finger cut.
It wasn't Brown's first problem in the run-up to the Grammys. His attack on singer Rihanna on the eve of the 2009 awards event overshadowed the show.
Last June, he was injured in a brawl with members of hip-hop star Drake's entourage at a New York nightclub.
No arrests were made. Brown was gone by the time deputies arrived but the department said the investigation is ongoing and Brown would be contacted later.
Email messages to Ocean's publicist and Brown's lawyer and representative were not immediately returned. A man answering the phone at the recording studio declined to comment.
Brown, 23, remains on probation for the attack on Rihanna and is due back in court on Feb. 6 to update a judge on his progress. Prosecutors have raised concerns about records showing that Brown has completed his community labor obligations.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Janet Jackson, Wissam Al Mana Married In Secret Wedding (2)
- Fifth annual National Achievers Society inductions (2)
- Breast cancer survivor group targets young Black women (1)
- Wes Moore replaces Dr. Ben Carson as Johns Hopkins commencement speaker (3)
- Record Powerball jackpot inspires office pools (2)