- Dems nominate new mayors in Pa. primary, Harrisburg's Black mayor loses - 2013-05-22
- Ferris wheel ride world record broken in Chicago - 2013-05-22
- Teachers credited with saving students in Okla. - 2013-05-22
- Questions linger in shooting of NY college student - 2013-05-21
- Audra McDonald returns with new, personal CD - 2013-05-21
Bryant Gumbel says he has lung cancer
Created on Thursday, 10 December 2009 12:03 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 19:19 Published on Thursday, 10 December 2009 12:03 Written by Associated Press Hits: 1886
NEW YORK (AP)—Bryant Gumbel says he’s recovering from lung cancer surgery and treatment.
The former “Today” show anchor says a malignant tumor and part of his lung were removed two months ago. He revealed his condition to Kelly Ripa while he was subbing for co-host Regis Philbin on “Live With Regis and Kelly” on Tuesday.
Gumbel says he had preferred to keep his condition private and only told Ripa backstage to explain why he couldn’t dance with her during a segment on the show.
The 61-year-old Gumbel says he’s meeting with his surgeon and oncologist next week and hopes to be cleared to play golf soon.
He is the host of HBO’s “Real Sports.”
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!