- 'Britain's Obama' urges ties with West Africa - 2013-05-20
- 'Scandal' cast performs finale live for Academy - 2013-05-20
- Bills promote Pittsburgh native and former Steelers' exec Whaley to GM - 2013-05-20
- Miss. mayoral candidate: Radical or mainstream? - 2013-05-20
- Obama's Morehouse visit shines spotlight on HBCUs - 2013-05-20
Man charged in woman's slaying on Obama speech day
Created on Thursday, 21 February 2013 16:03 Last Updated on Thursday, 21 February 2013 16:45 Published on Friday, 22 February 2013 07:00 Written by Associated Press Hits: 665
JANAY MCFARLANE (Facebook Photo)
CHICAGO (AP) — Authorities have charged a suspect in the shooting of an 18-year-old Chicago woman killed the same day her sister sat on stage behind President Barack Obama and listened to him push for gun control legislation.
Twenty-one-year-old Jim McPherson faces charges of murder, armed violence, unlawful use of a weapon and possession of a controlled substance.
He remained in custody Wednesday on a $3 million bond. He's to appear in court again next Tuesday.
Janay McFarlane was shot once in the head last Friday night in North Chicago. McFarlane, the mother of a 3-month-old boy, was in the Chicago suburb visiting friends and family.
Earlier that day, McFarlane's 14-year-old sister was just feet away from Obama at Chicago's Hyde Park Career Academy, where the president spoke about gun violence.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Janet Jackson, Wissam Al Mana Married In Secret Wedding (2)
- Fifth annual National Achievers Society inductions (2)
- Breast cancer survivor group targets young Black women (1)
- Wes Moore replaces Dr. Ben Carson as Johns Hopkins commencement speaker (3)
- Record Powerball jackpot inspires office pools (2)