- Conyers hits Farrakhan 'racist, anti-Semitic' talk - 2013-05-24
- Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1M tornado pledge - 2013-05-23
- Doctors save Ohio boy by 'printing' an airway tube - 2013-05-23
- Embattled Toronto mayor fires chief of staff - 2013-05-23
- Sergio Garcia will pay dearly for Tiger remarks - 2013-05-23
Former Congresswoman Cardiss Collins dead at 81
Created on Thursday, 07 February 2013 15:53 Last Updated on Thursday, 07 February 2013 15:53 Published on Friday, 08 February 2013 07:06 Written by Associated Press Hits: 761
Page 2 of 2
She voiced disapproval of President Jimmy Carter's civil rights record and criticized the president for not working hard enough to get congressional support to pass legislation making the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. a federal holiday. The holiday was created during the administration of President Ronald Reagan.
"A pioneer of her time, she was an effective policymaker and representative, where she set the benchmark for many members of Congress to emulate," said Chicago Democratic Rep. Bobby Rush.
In addition to Kevin Collins, she is survived by granddaughter Candice Collins.
AP reporters Caryn Rousseau and Sophia Tareen contributed to this report.
- << Prev
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Time to share the ‘truth’ about ‘timeshares’ (5)
- Community outraged over toddler’s shooting death, Rayco declares 'War' (1)
- Protecting Black Americans’ right to compete (2)
- Sergio Garcia will pay dearly for Tiger remarks (1)
- Detroit's emergency manager takes on critics in candid interview about city’s future (1)