- Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1M tornado pledge - 2013-05-23
- Canada abuzz over purported crack video of Toronto mayor - 2013-05-23
- Doctors save Ohio boy by 'printing' an airway tube - 2013-05-23
- Sergio Garcia will pay dearly for Tiger remarks - 2013-05-23
- Teen star Zendaya finishes 2nd on `Dancing With The Stars' - 2013-05-23
MPHANDULA, Malawi (AP)—Madonna has promised electricity to a village in Malawi, the impoverished southern African country where she runs a charity organization and from which she has adopted two children.
Speaking in Mphandula, some 30 miles from Malawi’s capital, Lilongwe, the singer said Thursday: “I know you work in darkness. I will bring you electricity.”
|BREAKING NEW GROUND—Madonna, second from left, gestures before cutting the ribbon at the ground breaking ceremony for the Raising Malawi Academy for Girls in Malawi, Oct. 26.
Madonna’s Raising Malawi charity already has donated $500,000 for a child care center in the village that feeds and educates 3,000 orphaned children.
Madonna arrived in Malawi accompanied by her four children. On Monday she broke ground for her $15 million Raising Malawi Academy for Girls.
About 500,000 children in this nation of 12 million have lost a parent to AIDS.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!