MISSES INAUGURATION--This July 5, 2009 file photo shows Al Green performing during the Essence Music Festival in New Orleans. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, file)
by Nkesa Mumbi Moody
AP Entertainment Writer
Al Green says if things had worked out, it would have been him serenading President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle at the inaugural ball.
Jennifer Hudson sang Green's classic "Let's Stay Together," leaving many to wonder why the soul legend wasn't singing his own hit for the first couple.
In a statement to The Associated Press, his representative said Green had been asked to sing, but scheduling conflicts prevented him from attending Monday's festivities. Green said he'd be honored to sing for the president in the future.
The Presidential Inaugural Committee did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Obama famously sang a snippet of the song at an event last year that Green attended.
Nekesa Mumbi Moody is the AP's global entertainment and lifestyles editor. Follow her at http://www.twitter.com/nekesamumbi
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise (1)
- Central Baptist Church hosts 'Spring Hat Sensation' at LeMont (2)
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)