From grit and grime to dirt and drama, we all know that city living (no matter the ZIP code) can make skin sensitive. I swear every time it rains in New York City and a truck rides by me super fast…and I get a pimple! Most of us are aware of the obvious skin-irritating behaviors to avoid but a recent survey by Simple Skincare revealed a surprising truth–that women in the top 40 cities nationwide don’t realize the wear and tear our everyday lifestyles may be having on the health and appearance of our skin.
From beauty regimen and diet to stress management and fitness, the survey took a look at the holistic habits of women across the top U.S. cities – and showed that while nearly 9 in 10 describe their skincare habits as “healthy,” their actual behaviors show there is room for improvement:
A Surprising Cleansing Calendar – More than a quarter (27%) report that the longest they’ve gone without washing their face is at least two days.
Being Attentive to the Elements – Fifty-nine percent (59%) are not actively trying to protect skin from environmental elements such as the sun or wind.
A Serving of Glowing Skin – Though half (50%) claim they’re striving for a healthy diet specifically to keep skin in good shape, thousands of women are missing out on certain foods that could work wonders on skin, such as Brussels sprouts (68%), walnuts (62%), salmon (57%) and avocados (56%).
The (Skin) Effects of Stress – Sixty-three percent (63%) know that their stress level affects the health of their skin, yet more than half (53%) are not actively trying to reduce it right now.
The Beauty Benefits of Working Out – One in two (50%) are unaware that exercise can influence their skin’s health.
I admit I sometimes forget to wash my face after dragging my butt up to my third floor apartment after cocktails with my homies. According to this survey I am not alone. Luckily I found a few products to help us get through this summer without a visit from the pimple monsters.
- Provides instant hydration
- Unique, ultra-light and fast-absorbing gel
- Contains glycerin to provide moisturization and leave skin soft and smooth
- Made with added vitamins: Pro-Vitamin B5, known to help replenish, soften and smooth Vitamin C, an antioxidant known to improve the appearance of skin
- 100 percent oil-free
- Deeply nourishes for up to 24 hours
- Ultra-rich cream is great for dry skin
- Non-greasy formula
- Made with shea butter to help provide moisturization
- Made with added vitamins and skin-loving ingredients: Pro-Vitamin B5, known to help replenish, soften and smooth o Vitamin E, an antioxidant known to nourish skin. Oat Kernel Oil, known to help soothe skin. Oat Kernel Extract, known to help soothe skin
- Shea Butter, known to help provide moisturization.
- Helps protect skin from UVA and UVB rays
- Absorbs quickly and moisturizes skin with a light, non-greasy feel
- Instantly doubles skin’s hydration
- Made with added vitamins and skin-loving ingredients
- Pro-Vitamin B5, known to help replenish, soften and smooth o Vitamin E, an antioxidant known to nourish skin
- Allantoin, known to help soften skin
- Bisabolol, known to help soothe and calm skin
- Glycerin, helps increase hydration
- Improved broad-spectrum; SPF 15 – UVA/UVB Sunscreens
- *compliant with 2013 FDA Sunscreen Monograph
You can thank me in the comments section all these amazing tips!
MORE ON STYLE & BEAUTY: