Beauty products can be so expensive. Especially when you are buying the latest beauty trends and celebrity makeup collaborations. But you know I’m here to save the day–and your wallet! There are a number of really easy ways to stretch those hard-earned dollars without sacrificing the beauty results.
1. Revive Your Nail Polish: If your polish brush no longer reaches the bottom of the bottle, add a few drops of nail polish remover, shake the bottle and voila, new nail polish. You should also invest in a long thin paintbrush to access those hard to reach last bits of polish before trashing the bottle for good.
2. Maximize Mascara: Is your favorite mascara all dried up? Use a hair dryer to heat it up, or soak the tube in hot water to re-liquify. But remember mascara should be thrown out after three to six months of use to avoid infections.
3. Make Lipstick Last: Scrape the lipstick dregs out of bottom of the tube, place inside of a pill-box, contact lens case or a very small plastic paint palette and microwave for about 10 seconds. Then, put the melted lipstick in the fridge to harden in your new “container.” You might need to use a lipstick brush to apply, but that’s much cheaper than a whole new tube of Chanel.
4. Longer Life Lip Liner: To keep lip and eyeliners moist and firm, store them in the refrigerator between uses.
5. From Powder to Gloss: Take leftover powdered blush (when it’s cracked and you can hardly get it on the brush) and mix with Vaseline for a pink, sparkly nude lip gloss.
6. From Dust to Gold: If your blush or eye shadow cracks and falls apart, put all of the pieces in a plastic baggie and pound into a powder. Then, dip a make-up brush in to use the powdery bits.
7. Spritz and Save: When your favorite perfumes have vanished into fumes, add water to the perfume bottle, shake it up and transfer to a spray bottle (unless your perfume bottle is already an atomizer, in which case use that). Voila! Instant body spray!
8. Turn Powder to Crème Shadows: To change the look of a powder eye shadow you’ve had for a while, apply a little Vaseline to your lid before applying the shadow for a creamier, richer color that will “pop” and look ultra-modern – like you just visited the latest makeup counter.
9. Freeze Frame: If your makeup keeps melting off while you’re applying it during the hot summer months, open the freezer door and let your face cool down to help your make-up set. That way, you won’t have to keep re-applying and wasting more makeup.
10. Cheap Shine-Stoppers: If you run out of blotting papers and want to de-shine your face on a humid day, toilet seat covers are a great stand-in.
Check out more of my must-read beauty tips below:
Top 50 Natural Hair Products For Black Hair
1. Top 50 Natural Hair Products For Black Hair1 of 46
2. Karen’s Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia Leave in Conditioner 8.5 Oz2 of 46
3. Miss Jessie’s Quick Curls3 of 46
4. Eden Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Oil4 of 46
5. Hair Rules Quench Conditioner5 of 46
6. Ouidad Heat and Humidity Gel6 of 46
7. Carol’s Daughter Monoi Collection7 of 46
8. Carol’s Daughter Lisa’s Hair Elixir Fortifying Scalp Spray and Restoring Oil8 of 46
9. Beautiful Textures Naturally Straight Texture Manageability System9 of 46
10. Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls10 of 46
11. Shea Terra Organics Argan and Ghassool Shampoo Bar11 of 46
12. Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner12 of 46
13. Curl Junkie Honey Butta Leave In Conditioner13 of 46
14. Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo14 of 46
15. EDEN BodyWorks JojOba Monoi All Natural Conditioner15 of 46
16. Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner16 of 46
17. Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine Shampoo17 of 46
18. Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo18 of 46
19. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo19 of 46
20. Motions Hair Naturally You Products20 of 46
21. Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner21 of 46
22. Cantu Shea Butter Twist And Lock Gel22 of 46
23. Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Shampoo23 of 46
24. Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter24 of 46
25. OBIA Curl Hydration Spray25 of 46
26. Ojon Damage Reverse Shampoo26 of 46
27. Giovanni All-Natural Hair Styling Mousse Air-Turbo Charged27 of 46
28. Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Gel28 of 46
29. AG Re:coil29 of 46
30. Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper30 of 46
31. Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite31 of 46
32. Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue32 of 46
33. Tigi Catwalk Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier33 of 46
34. Aussie Moist Shampoo34 of 46
35. Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist Gel35 of 46
36. Moroccanoil Shampoo36 of 46
37. Moroccanoil Hydrating Conditioner37 of 46
38. Moroccanoil Hair Treatment38 of 46
39. Softsheen Carson Optimum Amla Legend Billion Hair Potion39 of 46
40. Agadir Oil Hair Treatment40 of 46
41. Mixed Chick Leave-In Conditioner41 of 46
42. Yarok Hair42 of 46
43. Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Conditioner43 of 46
44. WEN Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner44 of 46
45. Keracare Humecto Creme Conditioner45 of 46
46. Jane Carter Solution All Natural Nourish and Shine for Dry Hair and Dry Skin46 of 46
Follow me @gorgeousingrey