by Malik Vincent
The quarterfinals in the girls City League playoffs began with the defending champions Perry being eliminated by Schenley on Saturday at home. The contest required an extra period in which Schenley outscored its opponent 8-1, and walked away with the 36-29 victory to advance to the semi-final round that will commence on March 2. Taylor Smith and Shamauri Phillips, both juniors, led the Spartans with 10 points each. Latosha Fortson had a game-high of 11 points for the Commodores.
Other quarterfinal games Feb. 25:
1. Allderdice pounded Oliver, 64-30. Lanise Saunders (16), Janay Bottoms (14), and Sydnee Abernathy (14) all ended up in double-figures for the Dragons. Oliver was led by Sakeenah Johnson with 15 points.
2. Brashear ousted Langley, 48-32, behind Ebony Brown’s game-high 24 points. Nautica Buchanan also had double-figures with 11 points for the Bulls. Desiray Weston led the Mustangs with 11 points of her own.
3. Westinghouse eliminated Peabody, 54-14, in the last game ever for the Highlanders. Jasmine Myers had a game-best of 18 points. RoiShay Woods also contributed with 12 points for the Lady Bulldogs. Semaj Pamplin led all Peabody scorers with 5 points.
1. Allderdice (16-0, 19-4)
2. Westinghouse (14-2, 18-5)
3. Brashear (12-4, 15-6)
4. Schenley (7-9, 8-14)
#1 Allderdice vs #4 Schenley at Brashear March 2 at 7:30pm
#2 Westinghouse vs #3 Brashear at Allderdice on March 2 at 7:30pm
The City League boys concluded their regular-season Feb. 23 and begun the playoffs with eight of the nine teams qualifying for the playoffs. All eight teams played in the quarterfinals Feb. 28 after the Courier press time. The eight teams qualifying for the playoffs are: Perry vs. Westinghouse, Allderdice vs Brashear, Carrick vs. Peabody, and Schenley vs. Oliver. The winners will play March 2, with the championship game being played March 4.
1. Allderdice defeated Carrick, 60-54, behind four double-digit scorers, led by Justin Dobbs with 16. JaJuan Thomas led the Raiders with 11 points.
2. Brashear edged Langley, 61-57, despite the Mustangs having two players with 20-plus point performances. Jamie Acie led all scorers with 22 and Jamil Alteri had 20. Daejuan Tucker led the Bulls with 13.
3. Perry snuck past Westinghouse, 52-49, behind Marcus Smith’s 15 points. David Pryor led the Bulldogs with 11 points.
FINAL REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS:
Team Conf. Overall
1. Perry 15-1 19-3
2. Allderdice 12-4 14-7
3. Schenley 11-5 14-8
4. Carrick 10-6 12-8
5. Peabody 9-7 10-8
6. Brashear 5-11 5-17
7. Oliver 5-11 5-17
8. Westinghouse 4-12 6-16
9. Langley 1-15 1-21
Semifinals: March 2 at 6 p.m.
Perry vs. Carrick, at Allderdice.
Schenley vs. Allderdice at Brashear.
City League Quarterfinals
Perry cruises to easy victory March 1
Only one City League team defeated Perry in the regular season. The Commodores just might make sure it doesn’t happen again. Marcus Smith scored 26 points to lead top seed Perry to a 93-56 win Monday against visiting Westinghouse in a City League boys quarterfinal.
“The guys came out and played their game,” Perry coach Marco Corona said. “We want to do well in the city playoffs and beyond.”
Greg McGhee added 23 points and 11 rebounds for the Commodores (20-3), who scored more than 90 points for the fifth time this season.
Darrelle Burton led the Bulldogs (6-17) with 17 points.
Allderdice 65, Brashear 32: Justin Dobbs had seven 3-pointers among his 27 points to lead the defending champion Dragons (15-7) to the victory against the visiting Bulls (7-16). Jordan Smith led Brashear with 10 points.
Carrick 84, Peabody 55: Jaquan Wheaton’s 17 points topped six Carrick players scoring in double figures, as the host Raiders (13-8) advanced to the semifinals for the first time since 2008 with the win against Peabody (10-9). Dontae Forte scored 18 points for the Highlanders.
Schenley 55, Oliver 39: City League scoring leader Brandon Johnson netted 17 points to push the Spartans (15-8) to the win against visiting Oliver (5-18). Lamontae Harrison paced the Bears with 17 points.