by Malik Vincent
Unfortunately for City League teams playing in area tip-off tournaments last weekend, none could muster more than a split in their two games.
On the boys side, four teams earned a split.
1. Carrick participated in the Brentwood Tournament. They won their first game 74-34 over the host Spartans on Friday night. They then dropped an 85-82 thriller to Meadville in the championship game on Saturday.
2. Peabody played in the South Side Beaver tournament. They suffered a 69-48 loss to Quaker Valley in the opening game but bounced back to avenge the host Rams in the consolation game, 73-56 on Saturday.
3. Perry, the defending champs, came out strong with a 72-66 win over Beaver Falls in the New Castle tournament on Friday but dropped a 67-49 decision to the host Red Hurricanes in the final.
4. Schenley fell to Bethel Park in its tournament, 58-44, on Friday but prevailed in the consolation match, 52-46, the next day against Mercyhurst Prep.
Other teams: Brashear (Pine-Richland tournament) lost 67-39 to Woodland Hills and 53-42 to Summit Academy; Langley (Plum tournament) lost to Plum 71-41 and Highlands 58-56; and Oliver (North Hills tournament) lost to North Hills, 70-45, and Hampton, 55-31.
For the girls, two teams came away with at least one victory.
1. Allderdice beat host Serra Catholic, 56-45, in the opening game on Friday but dropped the championship, 53-48, to Vincentian Academy on Saturday.
2. Brashear lost to Avonworth in the opening round of the Brentwood tournament, 70-26, on Friday then bounced back to claim the consolation match-up, 63-35, over league opponent Carrick on the following day.
Other teams: Oliver did not participate in a tournament but lost their nonconference opener to Belle Vernon, 50-12 on Friday; Perry (Seneca Valley tournament) lost their opener to Riverside, 58-17, and it is unknown how they fared in the consolation round against Valley; Carrick (Brentwood tournament) lost 60-30 to Brentwood and 63-35 to Brashear; Peabody (Wilkinsburg tournament) lost to Wilkinsburg, 58-32, and Clairton, 55-28; Schenley (St. Joseph tournament) lost to St. Joseph, 38-23, and Riverview 39-19, and Westinghouse (Trinity tournament) lost to Trinity, 39-34, and Washington, 39-37.
(Malik Vincent can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.)