A good friend of mine suggested that I write an article based on the premise of how to get back on track financially after the holidays. I responded by saying, “Wow! That’s a good idea. I never thought of that.” Dumbfounded by my response, my friend said, “All of the financial writers are writing about Christmas blues and holiday hangovers. I can’t believe you never thought about writing on the subject.”
As I began to reflect on ideas to write about helping people bounce back financially from the holidays, I thought to myself, I help people get back on track and get ahead financially “everyday.” Why would my advice be any different because it’s a “holiday?”
I began to ask questions: How can millions upon millions of people go broke each and every year after the holidays? We all know that Christmas falls on the 25th of December every year? Yet, millions of people act as if Christmas snuck up behind them, tapped them on the shoulder, and yelled surprise, I’m here! Do people think that time would stand still until they decided to be proactive and make provisions for the Christmas season? Do people convince themselves that some figment of their imagination called Santa Claus, lottery, casino, knight in shining armor etc, better known as false hope would show up and compensate them for their lack of planning and preparation for the holidays? It’s my opinion that being broke after Christmas is a microcosm of things yet to come.
According to a survey conducted by International Communications Research of Media Pa, the typical family spends anywhere from $810 to $1,105 during Christmas. The survey revealed that most of the items purchased during Christmas were purchased with credit cards. Lastly, the survey revealed that only 45 percent of those using credit cards paid the balances off over the next six months. The remaining 55 percent of those using credit cards were still making payments after six months.
Surely, $810 to $1,105 is a lot money. However, is the amount so great that you cannot save and pay cash? Is the amount so great that even if you used credit cards during the holiday, you have a low probability of paying the balance off in full within six months? Is the amount so great that you’re singing Christmas blues or that you’re having a holiday hangover?
If you answered yes to any of the aforementioned questions—I hate to be the bearer of bad news considering the time of the season. I feel that somebody has to tell you before it’s too late. For if you don’t get a handle on your finances today, you might as well get used to singing the blues and you might as well get accustomed to hangovers because $810 to $1,105 is small in comparison to the cost of an unexpected event or an unexpected expense. Money Magazine reports that 78 percent of all families will experience a major financial crisis with a price tag of approximately $10,000 within a 10-year period. This is why I recommend a fully funded emergency fund worth three to six months worth of living expenses.
Actually $810 to $1,105 is small in comparison to how much it’s going to cost you to put your children through college. You know the high cost of college and the pain associated with repaying student loans. This is why I recommend that you establish a college fund for your child. $810 to $1,105 is small in comparison to how much it cost to purchase and maintain a home. This is why I recommend that you get your financial house in order first then seek homeownership. The $810-$1,105 is small in comparison to the amount you’re going to need to maintain your lifestyle during retirement. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 96 percent of those 65 and older retire or die broke. Who knows what’s going to happen to Social Security? Most large companies no longer offer pension plans. Many companies stop matching 401(k) contributions. Assuming that you do receive both a pension and Social Security, in most cases the two together will only replace between 20 to 60 percent of your current income. This is why I recommend that you save for retirement.
The reason millions of people struggle after Christmas is the same reason millions of people are living hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck—overspending, no savings, poor money management, and no financial game plan. Have I not provided solutions in various columns? If you need me to personally help you put together a plan, I’m ready to serve. The beginning of a new year is a perfect time to start!
(Mortgage and Money Coach Damon Carr is the owner of ACE Financial. Sign up for Damon’s FREE online “Ask Damon” e-Newsletter @ http://www.allcreditexperts.com. Damon can be reached @ 412-856-1183.)